Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'm talking to the adopted orphan

about Parenting.

I am connected to my Father's memory

of being in the custody of his Father; his sister

with his Mother; being farmed out to work

for his dinner; and laying at night dreaming of

what His family would be. (A Grapes of Rath scene)

Having meals daily, a dog, movies...

Having meals. When they hadn't had

meat for a year -- someone found an old

dead opposum which they cooked for dinner.

It tasted so bad they had to throw it in the outhouse.



I went to meet the old woman who had taken him in, near

Pendleton I met with 'Pearl'. She recalled in the sunlight:

"George Noble, I remember him. He'd work all day for a

piece of gum."



I saw another element of my Father that day... the hard working

streek of physicality was it's own reward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home